A commemorative postage stamp on the Hislop College, one of the first colleges in Nagpur :
Issued by India
Issued on Sep 17, 2018
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Hislop College, Nagpur.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Smt. Vinita Sinha
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 600700
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The story of Hislop College began when a young Scottish missionary set out for India with fire in his belly and dreams in his eyes. Stephen Hislop’s humanitarian zeal motivated him to start in 1846, a boy’s school at Shukrawara, old Nagpur. The College was established in 1883. From a modest beginning, Hislop College has emerged as one of the finest institutions of higher learning in Central India with over 5000 young boys and girls.
- The College is run by the Hislop Education Society under the aegis of the Church of North India Synod. It was the first institution to provide higher education in the Vidarbha region. In 2009, the college celebrated its Quasquicentennial Anniversary, on completing 125 years. In 2016, the College was reaccredited in the third cycle by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bengaluru with ‘A’ Grade and 3.31 CGPA. It was also awarded the ‘Heritage Status Grant’ by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- The College offers under-graduate and post-graduate courses in all three faculties, viz. Arts, Science and Commerce. These include Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Computer Science, along with traditional life sciences; Business Administration and Computer Management in Commerce; and Communicative English, English Literature, Psychology and other social sciences in Arts. It also runs 12 post-graduate programs, including M.A. in Sociology, which is a grant-in-aid course.
- Besides, the curriculum also includes several add-on and short-term certificate courses. Today there are 21 departments, 12 post-graduate courses and 9 research centres recognized by Rastrasant Tukdoji Maharaj Nagpur University. The College is known for its innovative research activity. 9 post-graduate departments are recognized by RTM Nagpur University as Centres of Research. 28 faculty members are Ph.D. supervisors. The College has implemented a mechanism of quality assurance and quality sustenance that includes a qualified and experienced faculty, demographically varied student composition, research related specialization, intensive student mentoring, a proactive training and placement process and a structured student feedback and parent-teacher association.
- The College campus is spread over 8 acres. The main building encloses a quadrangle that has a proscenium a basketball court and a lush green lawn fringed by a variety of trees and flower plants. There is a 40,000 sq. m. playground, a large auditorium, gymnasium and a cafeteria. The campus also houses a girls’ hostel.
- The College provides a conducive environment to students to develop their personality through extra-curricular activities and in sports.
- A dynamic training program and good campus placement is a feature of institutional best practices. A large number of students get regularly selected by reputed companies. A Coaching Centre for Competitive Exams helps students prepare for NET, SET, UPSC, and other competitive exams.
- Hislop College has steadfastly served society and the country by producing great personalities, astute leaders, acclaimed scientists and versatile administrators to prolific litterateurs and brilliant sportsmen and women.
- The Hislop Institute for Social Action and Research (HISAR) is a unique outreach program that works for the upliftment of the underprivileged classes of society. HISAR has made a significant contribution to the social upliftment of disadvantaged sections of society in the city. With its unique community extension programme, the College has adopted Bhandewadi, an impoverished area in the city habited by ragpickers where it has set up a learning centre which conducts free classes for children and sewing classes for women.
- The College continues to serve the need for quality education in the region, to contribute to the glorious task of nation-building by improving the quality of life, environment and society. Its vision is to be the leading institution of higher education by integrating teaching, learning and research with community service and nation-building. Its mission is to continually strive to achieve greater heights by dedicating itself to the national goal of empowering students with knowledge, skills and values, fostering research, and serving the community at large.
- Text : Based on the information received from proponent.