A commemorative postage stamp on the Gas Authority of India Limited, largest Indian natural gas processing and distribution company :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 19, 2008
Issued for : India Posts is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on GAIL (India) Limited.
Stamp & FDC : Sankha Samant
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 2.4 Million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
- GAIL (India) Limited, formerly known as Gas Authority of India Limited in August, 1984 heralded a new era of natural gas in the country.
- GAIL has made significant contributions to the nation’s economy by supplying natural gas through its pipeline network.
- GAIL enabled the use of natural gas as a new energy resource in the country, which was earlier being flared in the offshore field of Bombay High. The natural gas infrastructure of over 6,700 km. accounting for over 82% of the total pipeline infrastructure in India, set up so far by GAIL, has contributed enormously to the economically and socially critical sectors such as fertilizers and power. GAIL also has the distinction of pioneering the clean fuel revolution for transport sector in the country with the introduction of CNG in Delhi and Mumbai which was significantly helped in reducing pollution levels in these two cities. The pipeline network of GAIL supplies natural gas to various sectors equivalent to 188 million barrels of oil equivalent per year, thus not only contributing to import substitution but also providing environment friendly fuel.
- The natural gas infrastructure of GAIL plays a significant role in serving the nation by facilitating equitable geographical distribution of economic benefits. It provides ready market access to domestic gas producers, making gas available to the customers including those who are remotely located, facilitating monetization and development of gas field which are otherwise scattered and devoid of market access. The pipeline network has created choice for customers by providing cheaper, environment-friendly alternative fuel and has reduced import-dependency as natural gas has substituted liquid fuels such as Naphtha, fuel oil, etc. GAIL has also spearheaded the spread of City Gas and Piped Gas network in the country which has helped in bringing down pollution levels in metros such as Delhi and Mumbai. GAIL’s pipeline network caters to the gas consumers in the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Assam and Tripura.
- In the area of corporate social responsibility, one of the major projects of GAIL has been setting up of Air Pollution Related Disease Diagnostic Centres (APRDCs) in over 20 cities in various parts of the country, at a cost of about Rs. 4 crore. Under this programme, the diagnostic centres equipped with modern diagnostic amenities related to respiratory and cardio-vascular diseases and well trained medical personnel have been set up in partnership with reputed Government/trust managed hospitals/institutions to provide diagnostic facilities and treatments to the people who are not able to afford baseline investigations for diagnosis.
- GAIL has an impeccable reputation in project execution and maintenance of safety standards in various area of its activities like pipeline laying, petrochemicals and LPG plants. The company has won a number of awards for safety in operations & maintenance of high pressure trunk gas pipeline and gas processing plants, petrochemicals, project execution from reputed national and international organizations which include coveted OISD Awards, British Safety Council Awards, International Project Management Association etc. GAIL has also been reckoned among the top gas utilities in the world consistently for past few years by Platts. GAIL maintains highest standards of environment friendly norms in all its activities by providing green fuel for power and fertilizer industries as well as vehicles in various cities in the country.
- Text : Material provided by the proponent.
No Comments Yet