A commemorative postage stamp on the Inauguration of AFRICA (Action for Resisting Invasion, Colonialism and Apartheid) Fund :
Issued by India
Issued on Jan 25, 1987
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to issue a special stamp on the 9-Nation AFRICA Fund Summit.
Description of Design : The 650 P special stamp is based on the logo of the AFRICA Fund and has been printed by India Security Press. The cancellation has been made by Miss Nenu Bagga.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Denomination : 650 Paise
Overall size : 4.8 x 3.6 cms.
Printing size : 4.35 x 3.15 cms.
Perforation : 14 x 14
Paper : Imported Unwatermarked P.G. coated Gummed stamp paper
Number Printed : 15,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 20
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed at : India Security Press
- The 8th Conference of Heads of State or Government of Nonaligned Countries held in Harare in September, 1986 expressed its grave concern over the continuing deterioration of the situation in Southern Africa. The Summit regretted that instead of heeding the call of the international community to eradicate apartheid, the racist regime had stepped up its oppression and subjugation of the disenfranchised and dispossessed people of South Africa through the imposition of the state of emergency and other repressive measures.
- The Summit renewed its abiding commitment to the eradication of the pernicious system of apartheid. It was reaffirmed that the imposition of comprehensive and mandatory sanctions against South Africa in accordance with Chapter 7 of the Charter of the United Nations was the only peaceful option to compel the racist Pretoria regime to abandon apartheid. Pending adoption of comprehensive and mandatory sanctions, the Summit recommended a number of measures for implementation by the International community. It was noted with satisfaction that at the London Review Meeting of the Commonwealth Leaders, six countries, including three from the Non-aligned Movement, had agreed to impose a number of economic measures against South Africa.
- As a concrete measure, the Summit resolved to establish the AFRICA Fund with the following objectives : to strengthen the economic and financial capability of the Front-line States to fight the apartheid regime of South Africa, to support the liberation movements in South Africa and Namibia; to assist the Frontline States to enforce sanctions against South Africa and to cope with any retaliatory action by the racist regime. AFRICA Fund stands for Action For Resisting Invasion Colonialism and Apartheid, Fund.
- The nine-Member Fund Committee consists of India (Chairman), Zambia (Vice-Chairman), Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Algeria, Congo, Yugoslavia, Peru and Argentina.
- (Courtesy – Ministry of External Affairs)