A commemorative postage stamp on the 60th Anniversary of the Employees‘ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC), an autonomous corporation managed ESI, a self-financing social security and health insurance scheme for Indian workers :
Issued by India
Issued on Feb 24, 2012
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to issue a Postage Stamp to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation.
Stamp / FDC : Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.45 Million (0.15 Million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Employees’ State Insurance Scheme of India, popularly known as the ESI scheme, is a multidimensional social security system tailored to provide socio-economic protection to the worker population and their dependants covered under the scheme. The ESI schemes are being implemented by the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC). This scheme came into existence through the Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948 which is the first major legislation in this field. Further impetus was provided by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru by registering himself as the first Honored Insured Person on 24th February, 1952.
- From a modest beginning of 25000 insured persons, ESIC now covers 1.43 crore families of workers and provides social security to 5.55 crore beneficiaries. Besides full medical care for self and dependants, admissible from the day one of insurable employment, the insured persons are also entitled for a number of cash benefits in times of physical distress due to sickness, temporary or permanent disablement, unemployment, industrial accidents etc.
- Starting from 21 dispensaries, the penetration of ESIC infrastructure has increased commendably over the years to 1486 dispensaries/AYUSH Units and 145 ESI Hospitals in the whole country. Today, ESI medical care institutions are treating approximately 4.5 crore patients annually. Along with the allopathic system of medicine, ESIC has adopted the Indian System of Medicine (ISM) in many states and provides treatment through Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH).
- ESI Corporation, with its Headquarters located in New Delhi has started a major drive for upgradation and modernization of its hospitals and dispensaries. Panchdeep, a comprehensive and complete IT enablement project, has been launched to upgrade the quality of services to the beneficiaries.
- With a staff of 7000 medical professionals, 35000 para-medical professionals and other employees, ESIC is determined to expand the coverage of its social security net.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.
No Comments Yet