A commemorative postage stamp on INS Kalvari (S21), first of the six Kalvari-class submarine of Indian Navy :
Issued by India
Issued on Dec 7, 2017
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on INS Kalvari.
Stamp/Sheetlet/FDC/Brochure : Sh. Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Sheetlet, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 632600
Sheetlets Printed : 111400
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- India by virtue of its location is placed in a position which exhorts it to safeguard the seaways. Indian Navy by way of its Maritime Strategy has adopted a strategy of deterrence to maintain peace. Submarines singularly form the most important pillar of this strategy. This strategy and primacy of submarines has been apparent since the very inception of the Indian Navy.
- INS Kalvari is first of the six submarines being built under Project 75 by technology transfer from France by Mazagon Docks in Mumbai. Commissioning of Kalvari this year marks the re-incarnation of the first submarine of the Indian Navy. The erstwhile Kalvari was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 08 Dec 1967. With the commissioning of INS Kalvari, Indian Navy has traversed the noteworthy milestone of 50 years of submarine operations.
- The Indian Navy has enhanced the deterrent capability of its conventional Submarine Arm, from the erstwhile Kalvari class to Sindhughosh class and to the Shishumar class and now the formidable new Kalvari class. While the earlier submarines were of Russian and German origin, the reincarnated Kalvari class is the first platform based on French design, to be inducted into the Indian Navy.
- INS Kalvari class is a potent, modern and advanced conventional submarine. She has the capability to dominate the waters off the adversaries’ coasts and also safeguard our littoral against surface and subsurface threats. To fulfil these missions, it is equipped with beyond visual range Tube Launched Missiles and long range Torpedoes. The sensor suite comprises highly advanced Sonar, Radar, Electronic Surveillance sensor and state-of-the-art Communication-suite capable of Network Centric Warfare. The submarine is well equipped to operate with dominance in dense Anti-Submarine Warfare environment.
- The indomitable spirit of erstwhile Kalvari is embodied in the new Kalvari and its crew is a harbinger of renewed vigour of the Submarine Arm.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.
No Comments Yet