A commemorative postage stamp on the 15th Anniversary of the Liver Transplantation in India :
Issued on Nov 4, 2014
Issued for : Department of Posts commemorates the occasion of 15 years of Liver Transplantation in India by releasing a Postage Stamp.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.6 Million (0.1 Million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The only definite treatment for liver failure is a liver transplantation. During a liver transplant, the diseased liver is removed and replaced with a healthy one.
- The first successful Liver Transplantation was performed on a child in 1967. Since then, there has been tremendous progress in the complicated process of liver transplantation, which in 1983 was confirmed to be a valid procedure in cases of end stage liver disease (ESLD), in a consensus by the National Institutes of Health. The first successful liver transplantation in India was performed at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital on 15th November, 1998 in New Delhi.
- The liver performs various functions that are essential for the well being of the body. Two types of liver transplant are possible: living donor transplant and cadaveric transplant. In living donor transplant, a portion of the liver is removed from a healthy person and placed into the patient. Since the liver has the capacity to regenerate, both the donor and the recipient liver portions grow to a normal size in a few weeks. In a cadaveric transplant the donor is a brain dead person.
- The development of effective immuno-suppressive drugs and the refinement of surgical procedures have improved long-term success of liver transplantation. Liver transplantation currently is the only effective and acceptable option for treatment of various liver diseases both in adults and children.
- Within the span of these last 15 years, approximately 4500 Liver Transplants have been done in India. This remarkable foray into organ transplantation has made India a global leader in the field by providing access to high quality and affordable transplant program.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.
No Comments Yet